Weekend memoirs



Alhumdulillah, Eid-ul-Ad7a, the "Festival of Sacrifice",
is around the corner and how fast it is approaching. Coming from a family that has a background in the meat business, Eid-ul-Ad7a has always been a busy time for us - playing with fat cuddly sheep to watching them being slaughtered, witnessing others storing their carcasses in our cold rooms and seeing the smiles on the faces of the poor as they receive their share of Adha. I remember one Eid, my dad took me along with him to watch our bull being slaughtered...on the drive there, I had all sorts of pictures in my head about how the bull would actually kill us before anything else and just maybe the string holding him might come loose...once at the slaughter house I was surprised to see that things were alot more sophisticated that my imagination. We walked up to a huge open room with slaughter livestock being queued, a whole lot of rails and hooks and there it was a square den where our family adha awaited his turn - within seconds a man stunted him to put him off and then he was slaughtered...

it was over in 5 minutes. How sad I thought while my dad told me, you should not feel sad about this -  we are doing it for Allah's sake. How right he is! 


I hope you all have made intentions to make Adha this Eid and Inshallah may Allah accept it too, Ameen!


وَالْبُدْنَ جَعَلْنَاهَا لَكُم مِّن شَعَائِرِ اللَّهِ لَكُمْ فِيهَا خَيْرٌ ۖ فَاذْكُرُوا اسْمَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهَا صَوَافَّ ۖ فَإِذَا وَجَبَتْ جُنُوبُهَا فَكُلُوا مِنْهَا وَأَطْعِمُوا الْقَانِعَ وَالْمُعْتَرَّ ۚ كَذَ‌ٰلِكَ سَخَّرْنَاهَا لَكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُونَ ﴿٣٦
(36) And the Budn (cows, oxen, or camels driven to be offered as sacrifices by the pilgrims at the sanctuary of Makkah) We have made them for you as among the Symbols of Allah, wherein you have much good. So mention the Name of Allah over them when they are drawn up in lines (for sacrifice). Then, when they are down on their sides (after slaughter), eat thereof, and feed the poor who does not ask (men), and the beggar who asks (men). Thus have We made them subject to you that you may be grateful. [Surah Al Hajj]


Have a great weekend!